06.03.2018Governor of the Ulyanovsk region holds a meeting with the organisers of the international forum “Wind Power 2018”
About the Ulyanovsk Region
Ulyanovsk Region is one of the most rapidly developing regions in the Volga Federal District of the Russian Federation. It is a large machine building centre and a centre for national and international logistics routes.
The documented history of the region begins with the settlement of Bulgar tribes from the Azov steppe during the Great Migration in the 8th century.
In the 10th century they formed the large early feudal state Volga Bulgaria. With the Russian exploration to the east of the Volga (from the 14th century) the first Russian settlements appeared on the territory of the future Simbirsk Governorate. In 1780 Simbirsk Viceroyalty was formed and in 1796 Simbirsk Governorate. From the second half of the 17th century large landed estates developed, which led to it becoming one of the centres of noble culture in the 18th–19th centuries.
Many important Russian historical figures were born and were active in Simbirsk, including:
- Nikolai Karamzin,
- Ivan Dmitriev,
- Denis Davydov,
- Dmitry Oznobishin,
- Pavel Annenkov,
- Ivan Goncharov,
- Alexander Voeikov,
- Vladimir Ulyanov-Lenin,
- Alexander Kerensky,
- Arkady Plastov,
- The Turgenev, Ivashev, Yazykov, Minaev families and many others.
In 1924 Simbirsk was renamed Ulyanovsk and
Simbirsk Governorate was renamed Ulyanovsk.
On 19 January 1943 Ulyanovsk Region was formed.
During the Second World War 15 major industrial plants were evacuated to the region from Moscow, Belarus and Ukraine, which laid the foundation for large and medium scale machine building in the region.
In the 1950s and 1960s industrial plants were set up, such as a heavy and unique machinery plant, Scientific Research Institute of Atomic Reactors in Dimitrovgrad, RPC Mars, machine plant, Kometa plant, Ulyanovsk instrument manufacturing design bureau, Novoulyanovsk cement plant and a vehicle bridge across the Volga and Ulyanovsk airport were opened.
In the 1970s and 1980s new plants started operating in the region: Dimitrovgrad auto parts plant, Aviation-Industrial Complex (now called Aviastar-SP) and the Ulyanovsk-Vostochny international airport and the Volzhanka confectionery plant.